Junior Technical Project Manager
- Job Type:
- Date Posted:
- Now Expired
THIS JOB HAS NOW EXPIRED.
An amazing opportunity to join the News and Knowledge (N&K) department within BBC Future Media responsible for the following BBC Online products: News, Sport, Weather, Knowledge & Learning, CBBC, CBeebies, BBC Homepage and Search. We manage and develop products on websites, mobile devices and interactive TV, have a world-leading approach to content management and metadata, and are delivering the London 2012 Olympics across BBC Online.
The department consists of software developers, project managers, and product managers, and works closely with designers and editorial staff. We use our knowledge and application of audience research, new and emerging technologies, combined with creativity and collaboration across the BBCs content divisions, to deliver world class digital products and services which deliver reach, quality, impact, and value for the BBC.
The Linked Data Team is a team formed from the Olympic Data Team who delivered the APIs that supported the BBC's digital products for the London 2012 games. We intend to build on the successes of our Olympics project to build a Linked Data Platform that will support the complex interlinking of BBC content, using common concepts such as people, places and events. Ultimately, we would like to create the systems to support public, open access to the wealth of BBC data. We aim to maintain the BBC's position as a pioneer in Linked Data technology.
We are a creative and adaptive team, and we embrace a variety technologies and practices such as Kanban, TDD, BDD, pair-programming, Scala and MarkLogic. Our focus however, is Linked Data, and related technologies: RDF, SPARQL, Jena, Sesame, OWLIM etc.
You will be responsible for Co-ordinating the scoping, estimating and planning for single or multiple projects or work streams within the Core Engineering team. Other activities include;
• Anticipate, manage and resolve issues, risks, dependencies and impediments that may impact on the delivery of your projects. Adapt to changes in workflow and business priorities with ease.
• Manage the relationship with the operations team to ensure smooth releases and operational stability
• Schedule and co-ordinate releases with operations and customer teams
• Ensure that project progress is reported in an accurate and timely manner in accordance with the News & Knowledge reporting processes
• Demonstrable experience in building and developing good working relationships with key stakeholders both inside and outside of the BBC and manage the expectations of these stakeholders.
• Ensure that all projects and products are delivered with quality as a priority, meet all non-functional requirements, and that appropriate levels of testing are carried out
• Support the Product Manager in delivering their Product aspirations in a timely and cost effective manner.
• Coordinate across project teams, within News & Knowledge or across the BBC or its partners and suppliers, to manage dependencies across complex projects and product suites.
• Produce, or manage the production of appropriate project documentation at each stage of a project lifecycle.
• Support the implementation and culture of an agile software delivery methodology
• Support the Product Manager with budget and resource management
1.Significant experience in a software delivery environment, preferably in a Project Management, development or support role.
2. Competence with standard project management techniques and software.
3. Experience of delivering projects using agile development techniques, including agile estimating and planning. A good understanding of the benefits of using these techniques and the ability to articulate these benefits clearly.
4. Demonstrable experience of resource estimating and planning
5. Competency with a range of delivery management tools (JIRA and Confluence preferable)
6. Experience of ensuring quality of software projects by working with software testing teams and managing software defect resolution
7. Experience with coordinating the resolution of operational issues with internal/external operational support team
8. Experience of ensuring requirements are translated into user stories with acceptance criteria for developers, and where applicable experience of doing this yourself
9. Highly developed communication skills, and experience of communicating key project management information to all stakeholder groups and audiences.
10. A good and up-to-date understanding of the new media industry and the competitive forces facing the BBC.
Closing date: 30 August 2012.
The BBC’s unique position as a public service broadcaster brings both big opportunities and big responsibilities for the people that work here. If you join us, we’ll expect a lot from you – but you’ll have the chance to work in a role that will challenge and stretch you. Career devel...View This Employers Profile >>
Latest Jobs with BBC
Submit your CV*
Not for you? Share it!
Other Jobs like this